Why Does Your Baby Sɴᴇᴇᴢᴇ So Much
All newborns have a different pattern of ʙʀᴇᴀᴛʜɪɴɢ. For instance, some babies may take ʀᴀᴘɪᴅ sʜᴏʀᴛ sᴘᴜʀᴛs ᴏꜰ ᴀɪʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇɴ sʟᴏᴡʟʏ sᴛᴇᴀᴅʏ their ʙʀᴇᴀᴛʜɪɴɢ. So it may take your little one a while to master the art of ʙʀᴇᴀᴛʜɪɴɢ normally. Sneezing is a common phenomenon in newborns but there are quite a few reasons why she may sɴᴇᴇᴢᴇ a lot.
1. To Clear Impurities in the Nose : Newborns usually ʙʀᴇᴀᴛʜᴇ through their nose and it takes them around 3-4 months to ʙʀᴇᴀᴛʜᴇ through their mouth. It is difficult for them to make a sudden transition from nose ʙʀᴇᴀᴛʜɪɴɢ to mouth ʙʀᴇᴀᴛʜɪɴɢ. Hence, babies need to sɴᴇᴇᴢᴇ quite often to clear their nose and resume their normal ʙʀᴇᴀᴛʜɪɴɢ pattern.
2. Due to the Presence of Iʀʀɪᴛᴀɴᴛs in the Air: The Iʀʀɪᴛᴀɴᴛs like ᴄɪɢᴀʀᴇᴛᴛᴇ sᴍᴏᴋᴇ, sᴛʀᴏɴɢ ᴄᴏʟᴏɢɴᴇ ᴏʀ ᴘᴇʀꜰᴜᴍᴇs, ᴅᴜsᴛ ᴘᴀʀᴛɪᴄʟᴇs, etc., present in the air can also make your baby sɴᴇᴇᴢᴇ. Babies also ᴠᴏᴍɪᴛ ᴍɪʟᴋ; if your little one vomits milk, it can enter her ɴᴏsᴛʀɪʟ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪʀʀɪᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ and sneezing. Since your little one can’t sɴᴏʀᴛ ᴏʀ sɴɪꜰꜰ ᴛᴏ ɢᴇᴛ ʀɪᴅ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ɪᴍᴘᴜʀɪᴛɪᴇs, she may eventually have to sɴᴇᴇᴢᴇ. In order to prevent this, you can keep your house ventilated. You can either install exhaust fans in your house or keep the windows open frequently for better air circulation.
3. Due to Fᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴏʀ Iʟʟɴᴇss: Sneezing in babies can also be a sign of a cold. The most ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴏɴ sʏᴍᴘᴛᴏᴍs of cold include upper tract respiratory infections, sneezing, coughing, and nasal discharge. Due to an immature immune system, your baby may catch a cold from other members of the family, if they have a cold. So as a parent, you must ensure that anyone who takes the baby in their arms washes their hands properly and uses a sanitizer before holding the baby. Alternatively, you can also use anti-histamines as per the doctor’s prescription. Also, once infected with cold, immediate treatment is required to prevent severe infection.
4. Due to a Tiny Nose: Newborns have tiny noses, and tiny noses mean tiny nasal passage. Your little bundle of joy’s cute tiny nose also has a narrow nasal passage which can easily attract dust particles from the atmosphere. Hence, she may sɴᴇᴇᴢᴇ to clear her nasal pathway.
5. To Uɴᴄʟᴏɢ ᴀ Bʟᴏᴄᴋᴇᴅ Nostril
Babies often suffer from a clogged nostril. When you breastfeed your baby, her tiny ɴᴏsᴛʀɪʟs ᴍᴀʏ ɢᴇᴛ ᴘʀᴇssᴇᴅ ᴏʀ ꜰʟᴀᴛᴛᴇɴᴇᴅ (as she might be ᴄʟɪɴɢɪɴɢ to you). This may cause a temporary block in her nostrils which then gets unclogged by sneezing.
6. Due to the Dryness in the Air
As your little one has a tiny nasal passage, the mucus in her nose may dry easily. You may witness this more in the winter months or at dry places or in air-conditioned rooms. As a result, she may sɴᴇᴇᴢᴇ more often. In order to avoid this, you can use make her use a vaporizer – it will help lower nasal dryness.
7 . Due to Some Allergy
Hay fever can also be one of the causes if your baby is sneezing frequently. Also known as ᴀʟʟᴇʀɢɪᴄ ʀʜɪɴɪᴛɪs, hay fever causes nasal congestion. The impure particles in the atmosphere cause allergic reactions which lead to hay fever. It can also occur due to dust, insect bites, or animal hair. This can be avoided by protecting babies from foreign particles and allergies. Since it is not practically possible to do so, you may also use anti-histamines as per doctor’s prescriptions.